Friday, January 14, 2011

Young Star: How To's of Hotness

Link to original article

The how to's of hotness
By Adrian Carlo Velasco (The Philippine Star)
Updated January 14, 2011 12:00 AM

Photos by Roy Macam
Styled by Alyanna Martinez
Makeup and hair by Raymond Ko
Shot on location at Edsa Shangri-La Manila


January’s hottest: With her recent launch as FHM covergirl, TV5 star Carla Humphries reinvents herself as a versatile artist. Swimsuit by Charina Sarte.

MANILA, Philippines - Fortunately, we don’t need to be reminded about getting fit these days. There’s more motivation now when it comes to exercising and hitting the gym. Vanity has probably saved us, coupled with paranoia about diseases. But primarily, more people dream of having nice arms and chiseled abs. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

In fact, “hotness” brings in the good vibes and we’ve got TV5 star Carla Humphries and model newbie Deny Barros — Young Star’s “sickest” Body-of-the-Moment recipients — to prove it.

It can even fix a broken heart. “When I broke up with my (last) boyfriend, I started spending more time with my friends and realizing that taking care of yourself and looking your best and feeling your best is so important... And really getting fit helped so much,” Carla, who just came out with her first body-licious FHM cover this month, reveals.

The newly reinvented actress shows us how fitness evokes change.

Carla Humphries, 22, Actress

How to's for a hot body: I do cardio for 30 to 40 minutes, every other day. I do a little weights. And then when I feel like I've done so much weights, I do yoga to stretch it up. I'm not at the peak of my body but I'm getting there. It takes a long time to get to your goal. But you'll feel like you're in euphoria when you get to that point when you worked so hard for your body... I do this exercise, it's like plyo. It's a routine of several exercises. It's in a circle and you have to finish it in a span of 30 minutes so you do the circle three times. There's music and then it stops. Then, you shift to the next exercise. It's a mixture of cardio and muscle build up.

Problem areas: Like a lot of girls out there, I have trouble with my abdominal areas. It's the heardest and (takes) the longest (workout). Until now, it's not where I want it to be, like I want Jessica Alba's abs-kind-of-thing. But I'm getting there. The weird thing is when you do abs sometimes you still feel bloated. But after a week, that's when you see (the change).

Body heat and what you eat. It was hard for me to train because I love sweets. I eat my main course to get to the sweets. But then, I started getting fitter, I didn't crave as much for the food that I was craving for.

Rules of attraction. If you asked me this last year, I'd say you're asking the wrong person. But right now, I think I know. I just discovered that the best way to attract people in general is just being open to meeting new people and just talking about things that interest you and you're passionate about; being confident and smiling and laughing a lot. When a person sees that you're such fun to speak to, people will really be drawn to you.

No vain, no gain. My favorite vanity practice is being happy, spending time with friends, and just always smiling helps a lot. Do you know that when you put a good scent on, it changes your aura? So, whenI put coconut on, I feel beachy. And when I put KNY's Be Delicious! on I feel so fresh... My big thing is taking care of the skin. I try to put sunblock every day and moisturizer. And I love to get my nails done.

Break-up breakthrough. I've been single for over two years. I was going through a lot of changes in my life that I didn't really know how to deal with and my mind was all over the place. What I figured out is that when you jog, when you get fit and take care of yourself physically and internally, it clears out your mind. WHen you're so busy and stressed, you end up sluggish and just in bed because you're just mentally tired. When you make the steps to get out of bed and not fill your body with junkfood, you get a clearer mindset and more positive outlook in life. You just feel you can do anything.

Work of heart.When you learn how to love yourself and take care of yourself on your own, that's the time when it's easier for someone to find you and fall in love with you. Sometimes you have to realize what you want and what you want to do. If you're always thinking about being in a relationship, you forget what your goals are for yourself. I think it's very healthy for you to spend time with yourself.

No comments: