Sunday, November 05, 2006

Beauty, Brains, and Bright Future

Link to original article

Carla Humphries: Beauty, Brains and Bright Future
PENPOINT
The Freeman November 04, 2006

When I first met Carla Humphries at a movie presscon last May, I remember being mesmerized by her charm and glib tongue that I could not help but ask then how old she was. Since she was only 17 years old at that time, I told her to give herself a year more and she would be very qualified for Binibining Pilipinas. After all, she stands 5'8, not to mention pretty and witty. When the presscon came to an end, she made beso as she bid me good-bye, and I tapped her in the shoulder and told her, think about the Binibining Pilipinas girl, I know you can make it. She simply smiled and promised she would.

I met Carla again at the Lighthouse Restaurant in Mango Avenue last Tuesday noon for an interview prior to her and John Wayne Sace's mini-show at Gaisano Main and Countrymall later that night for the launch of the "Halloween for a Million Thanks promo" and alas, she remembered me, even telling me that she saw the article I wrote about her from the Internet. I was touched because seldom do I encounter stars who would still remember me during a second meeting, which is understandable because they come across a lot of people everyday. But Carla Humphries is another exemption and it makes her nicer and more endearing. And mind you, she had no make up that day, but she still looked fresh and vibrant that the customers around and the staff requested for a photo opportunity with her.

Carla was first seen in "Qpids" last year, and was paired with Janus del Prado in the highly-successful "Bituing Walang Ningning" soap drama very recently. Certainly, there's no stopping this soft-spoken but principled woman from being catapulted to the top, especially if she really play her cards right. Carla is also an international model, with her shampoo commercial very popular in Thailand. And Star Magic is molding her career like Bea Alonzo's, as she's a natural in the drama department.

Therefore, buckle up and get to know Carla more this early, before she would become local tinseltown's next hottest property.

PenPoint: Kumusta ka since nagkita tayo sa presscon ng D' LUCKY Ones last May?

Carla: Madami sigurong nagbago, maraming blessings na dumating sorry ha nagngo-ngo ako ngayon he he he, (note: she had colds) parang ngayon pagkatapos ng D' Lucky Ones nagkaroon ng Bituin, mas nakilala ako ng tao, natanggap ako ng tao kaya talagang nagpapasalamat ako. Ngayon may bagong show ang ABS na in the making pa lang kaya sana abangan ng supporters.

PenPoint: How would you describe yourself?

Carla: Ako simple lang ako, I'm very friendly kumbaga sa school ako yung unang lalapit sa tao para magpakilala. Mahal ko yung trabaho na pinasukan ko, I like to sing but I still need a lot of work, I love drama, yung mga idol ko sina Sharon Cuneta, Vilma Santos and Maricel Soriano kasi hindi lang sila magaling umarte, may dating sila, hindi lang sila mahal ng tao, kumbaga napamahal sila ng tao hindi lang bilang artista kundi bilang sila.

PenPoint: Sa role mo dun sa Bituin, anong similarities at pagkakaiba dun sa totoo mong buhay?

Carla: Kasi yung personality ko dun sa Bituin, matapang pero weak din kumbaga pag minahal niya sa buhay ang pinag-uusapan talagang very emotional siya pero matapang siya kunyari awayin mo siya, kaya niyang labanan. I guess in the same way ganun din ako pero kaya kung lumaban. I don't give up easily.

PenPoint: What are your citizenships again?

Carla: French, American, Filipino. I was born in San Francisco California, my mom is Filipina and my dad is French. She is from Batangas, lumaki ako dito most of my life, tumira din kami sa France for few years, pero talagang pinoy at heart ako kasi nga lumaki ako sa probinsya kaya nasanay ako pag-umaga na may kanin, tsokolate, at tuyo talagang I never felt na foreigner ako although yung tagalog ko may pagka slang ng konti kasi all my life I speak English. Pero sa mga kaibigan ko taglish naman.

PenPoint: How were you raised?

Carla: Very Filipino. Tinuruan syempre kami magmano pero syempre we have the open-mindedness of a foreigner, we're very open to change, open to different kinds of food pero mahal ko syempre Filipino food. Pero sa bahay kumakain din kami, pasta, iba-iba kunyari kumakain kami ng pasta, the next day isda.

PenPoint: How about when it comes to courtship?

Carla: Courtship, kailangan dumaan muna sa mga magulang. Very Filipino. So far pag-niniligawan ako, ganun din ang mangyayari.

PenPoint: So sino-sino ang mga nangliligaw sa'yo ngayon?

Carla: Ngayon? Actually I'm just concentrating on work kaya parang I guess hindi ako na-expose sa mga lalaki pero I'm not looking for [relationship] then, kumbaga, sana if it comes, then it comes, if it's mean to be, it's mean to be. I think darating yung pagmamahal at the right time kasi kung mali din yung oras wala rin.

PenPoint: You just turned 18 years old, how has your life changed so far?

Carla: Actually wala masyado. Ako kasi yung parents ko are very supportive of me, they let me learn through their eyes... Kagaya nito, I just came from Italy yesterday to visit my brother at first time ko sa Italy so I was very excited to meet new people, baka makakilala ako ng lalaki ganyan, ganyan. But my mom always tells me it does not matter where you are, the right guy will find you usually without looking for him. Sinasabi ng mommy ko na the right guy will come along, who will respect you for who you are. And I think for me love is all about sacrifice and compatibility. Compatibility is very important, kasi kung magkaiba kayo hindi mag-wo-work.

PenPoint: The first time we met, loveteam kayo ni Janus del Prado, tapos sinasabi mo hindi siya mahirap mahalin but that it was not yet the right time. Kumusta na kayo kasi nagkasama kayo sa Bituin? Wala bang special something na-nadevelop o namamagitan sa inyong dalawa?

Carla: I can honestly say nag-karoon talaga ako ng feelings para kay Janus kasi mabait naman siyang tao. He's not hard to love, kaya lang we don't get to see each other that much kasi wala nang Bituin, tapos parang our career is heading different ways at baka i-pair ako sa iba. We're still friends and his family is very nice.

PenPoint: Pero may lumabas na balita sa PangMasa na naghiwalay na daw ka'yo ni Janus, bakit naging kayo ba talaga?

Carla: Well I guess siguro because were not as close so nakita yung diffrrence kasi nga hindi na kami nagsasama, I guess parang ganun ang interpretation. We were always together tapos bigla hindi na kami magkatrabaho. But we support each other on where we want our careers to go. He will always have a special place in my heart.

PenPoint: You are into modeling, have you already thought about joining the Binibining Pilipinas competition?

Carla: Actually it's always at the back of my mind, because a lot of people have asked me. But sa ngayon talaga ang nasa isip ko pag-aartista eh. But you never know. Talagang there are so many doors that are opening, not really offers, there are no offers but when you are in the industry you can do so many things, you can do singing, you can do hosting so parang I'd like to make a name for myself first. So that when I join a beauty pageant may susuporta na sa akin, mayron ng nakakikilala sa akin therefore it would give me more confidence.

Penpoint: What can you say Carl about other people's comments that beauty pageants are a form of exploitation of women?

Carla: Me, I'm very uncomfortable wearing a swimsuit kahit kami kami lang ng barkada ko. But the thing is a beauty pageant is about the beauty of a woman and one of the things that make a woman beautiful is her body. We can only be called women because of what we have as a female person. Nasa tao yan eh, kung ang pagdadala mo ay malaswa, eh talagang titingnan ka ng malaswa. But I think our pageants are very prestigious, and not kalaswaan and [beauty queens] are representing the Philippines to bring honor to the country and not disgrace.

React@ banathugyaw@thefreeman.com.ph or text me @ 09286252596

Tag: Press

No comments: